Urinary incontinence is a common problem in which you lose control of your bladder and experience urine leakage. It may be a small leak, or your bladder may release a large amount of urine, and leaks can occur occasionally or more frequently.
Whatever urinary incontinence looks like for you, it can be an inconvenient and embarrassing problem.
There are six main types of urinary incontinence:
- Stress incontinence. This is when urine leaks because you put pressure on your bladder by laughing, sneezing, exercising, lifting something heavy, etc.
- Urge incontinence. With this type of incontinence, you experience a sudden, intense need to urinate followed by an uncontrollable loss of urine. You may have this need often, including during the night. Urge incontinence can be caused by something minor like an infection (temporary or transient incontinence) or a more serious condition like diabetes or a neurological disorder.
- Overflow incontinence. You have frequent urine loss or a continual dribble due to an inability to empty your bladder fully.
- Functional incontinence. You struggle to get to the toilet and prepare to urinate in time due to some type of physical limitation.
- Mixed incontinence. Some people experience multiple types of incontinence, most commonly stress and urge incontinence.
- Bedwetting. This is more common in children but can also affect adults.
How do doctors diagnose urinary incontinence?
Doctors use several exams and tests to diagnose urinary incontinence and determine its cause. They include:
- Getting a detailed medical history, including information on when and to what degree you experience urine leakage
- Physical exams, including a rectal exam and a pelvic exam in women
- Diagnostic imaging
- Bladder function test
- Urine and blood tests
Using this information, your doctor can determine the best approach for addressing your urinary incontinence.
BioRelief Offers Real Life Solutions
At BioRelief.com, we understand how much incontinence can affect your life and we are here to help. Our mission is to offer relief to anyone who is living with incontinence and to help them have better health through hygiene. Browse our website to see our full selection of products that can help you live your life to the fullest. If you have any questions, contact our helpful team and we will be happy to suggest solutions for your unique situation.