Conveen Optima External Male Catheter by Coloplast
$1.75 – $52.25
Coloplast’s Medical Design Excellence Awards Winner for 2007 is a trouble free external male catheter that is easy and safe to use. Available in 2 different styles to accommodate your needs. The Standard Length (4″), and the Sport Length (2″) which has less material in the sheath so it does not leave roll of excess material at the base.
Click here for the Conveen Male External Catheter Size Guide
A Latex-Free one piece male external catheter. Made of 100% soft silicone that is breathable with a balanced adhesive to provide security and is gentle on the skin. A triple action anti-leak system features a anti-kink bellow, sure grip ribs, and push ring ensures maximum security to the leg bag. For some users manual dexterity can be an issue when a male catheter needs to be rolled on. With the double grip strip you simply pull the strip towards your body once the catheter is positioned correctly at the head of the penis, and the catheter is applied correctly every time. The double tab also helps prevent nurse’s gloves sticking to the male catheter and helps patients who have difficulty putting on catheters. A winner of the 2007 Medical Design Excellence Award for its unique design, ease to use, and reliability for skin friendliness.
It is recommended that the skin should be cleaned with a mild soap that does not contain moisturizers.
How to Choose a Size of Male Catheter
- Measure the circumference of the penis, using the sizing guide. Measure the widest part of the non-erect penis. If the penis is circumference is in between two sizes, select the smaller size. Selecting the larger size can result in wrinkles, which can trap urine and promote eventual detachment of the catheter.
- Using the ruler, determine the appropriate sheath length: Standard (about 4 inches or 10 cm) or Sport (about 2 inches or 5 cm), keeping in mind that you do not want any excess role/sheath.
Instructions for applying the Conveen Optima Male Catheter
- Trim pubic hair. This can be done using a blunt pair of scissors, or electric hair trimmer
- Clean penis with basic soap and warm water no moisturizing soap or moisturizing shower gels no moisturizing cream or talc. Dry thoroughly
- If any chance of skin tear, apply a non-sting skin prep to the portion of the penis that will be in contact with the catheter adhesive.
- If uncircumcised do not pull back the skin. Leave it in its natural state
- If you choose the sport but there is still excess sheath, use blunts nose scissors to remove the excess sheath.
- Open the correct size of sheath, pull the tab down slowly rolling the sheath onto the penis, keeping about 1/4”-3/4” (1-2cm) gap between the penis tip and the outlet tube. Ensure a smooth application without ripples, ridges or wrinkles. If you do have ripples, resize and apply slowly.
- Gently squeeze the catheter around the shaft of the penis for a few seconds, to ensure adhesion.
- No additional adhesive is necessary. Do not tape.
- Connect the leg bag or bedside drainage bag, inserting the connector of the tubing deep into the full length of the catheter tip. Otherwise, you chance this disconnecting.
Video On Using The Conveen Optima Male External Catheter
Removing the External Male Catheter
- Removal: Change the catheter daily, including a thorough skin inspection to ensure skin integrity. First, detach the catheter from the urine collection system. Then, slowly roll the catheter off the penis.
- If the sheath does not roll off easily, you can use warm soapy water or adhesive remover to aid the removal process.
Sensitive skin using a Male External Catheter
For sensitive or delicate skin the use of a skin barrier may be necessary. When a skin barrier is applied to the area of the penis that the adhesive in the sheath of the catheter comes in contact with, it creates an invisible shield. It can also be called a “fake skin”. The skin barrier acts as a shield for the skin so that the adhesive is not coming in contact with the skin, but the barrier itself. The skin barrier is easily removed using warm water and soap.
|Dimensions||2 × 2 × 2 in|
100% Silicone male catheter with Pull Tab. Individually packaged in a discreet, recyclable smart pack
22025, 22030, 22035, 22040, 22121, 22125, 22130, 22135 CP-22
How to apply the Coveen Optima